Pages

Wednesday 27 January 2016

KALLIGRAPHY gets new partner

It's funny how your pen stops abruptly when you're asked to write about yourself. You try to sell and at the same time try to avoid the uppity of seemingly over selling. It is a simple job at the surface but starting, it gets a little mundane. 

 I hail from Anambra state, from the popular arts crafting village of Igbo-ukwu. It is referenced in almost all of Nigeria's visual arts books. No pressure. I tend to believe in my quest for being para-normal.

The voice of the people is the voice of God, a popular adage I don't totally agree with. Doubting? Ask Mary Slessor. Ask Martin Luther. Ask Nelson Mandela. For some obvious reasons, I'm the kind of being that believes a radical change is always needed for growth.

I believe society's thinking is usually conformed to the norms that are particularly popular or evident. Challenging it, you're normally tagged a "Radical". No pressure again.

My mentors are sort of. Chimamanda, Soyinka, Achebe, Sissulu, Von Staffenberg, Ayo Sogunro, Chude Jideonwo, Nelson Mandela. They all make me marvel at the nature of their minds, axiomatically beautiful. OK, let me not digress. 

I'm a writer, a social critic who thinks black Africa needs a psychological study really fast to determine if our leaders cannot understand that we are being left behind in the scheme of things. Why our leaders are unflinchingly determined to make sure we continue to be the destination for multitudinous aids and relief, decade after decade. Let me not digress again.

I am the story today, not Africa. I'm a theorized graduate from the University of Benin. My practical demonstration in my field of study is still very much undergraduate. Don't ask me why. In fact "lemme" tell you why. I studied a practical science course in our theory-oriented University. 

Naturally, I tend to be very critical and I try to indulge my mind in the most normal of situation. I have a thing for sociology and somehow I've come to realise I have snobbish tendency. I have come to realise that small talk is an integral part of social nexus and I wonder when I'll stop being part of it. I have a thing for Greek names and unsubtly fascinated by History. Sorry if I have not said some things I ought to have said. Describing myself became harder as I picked up the pen, or less literary, the keyboard.

Let the story begin,
Yours Truly

Izuchukwu Okafor

No comments:

Post a Comment