Pages

Tuesday 18 March 2014

HURRY

                                      …STILL IN A HURRY?

I hurriedly left the house; this has been characterizing my exit from the house in recent times. I had decided to visit a friend the day before, but providence refused me went! I decided nothing would stop me from realizing my purpose this afternoon; now it was about to rain and from the look of things, the wind spoke expressly that it would be a heavy one. I defiled all the inspiration bidding me stop my journey.
John Wesley says “though I am always in haste, I am never in hurry”. Getting to the road, I jumped into a bus; STILL IN A HURRY! The only thing that happens when you are in a hurry is that; your body would be faster than your mind. If you would forget anything when you are in a hurry, it is going to be gravely important. I sat comfortably between a young guy and an ‘older’ female. I intentionally refused to exchange greetings with them because I thought I didn’t have the time. I looped them off. My journey was going on fine and smooth as if I was in my future dream car; Lamborghini Bugatti or my self-acclaimed Toyota highlander jeep, except for the fact that I was feeling the absence of an intricate part of the vehicle-- the shock absolver-- as I was lifting at every rising of the partially completed Benin/Lagos road.

Not until I heard the coarse voice of the conductor calling “money for front, money for back” I would still be in my dream paradise. My heart gave a big throb; the lady beside me would have heard the throb if not for the earphone she plugged to her ears. Immediately, as if it was reflexed, I dashed my hands to my wallet and behold it was found wanting. No wallet! Means no money! I had initially made a vow not to put cash anywhere except my wallet. A previous experience had made me pass that into law. The conductor and the passengers beside me noticed the change in my facial muscles. The bus had already gone too far, that I could not just come down without paying. I had no other option than to plead for funds, because, even if I was eventually taken to my destination free of charge, how I would return, would be the eighty naira question. How would I get money from these people I initially had no time to greet?

So there, the drama started: I began with the guy, because, I have this feeling that men are wealthier than any female at any time. “Good afternoon” I greeted, he replied nicely. “Please I need LITTLE money from you because I forgot my wallet in the house” I added. He bluntly told me he didn’t have. I received his reply in good faith. I then turned to the girl beside me, “good afternoon” I said with a ‘large’ smile. I could sense that she was shocked; maybe she taught I wanted to generate a discussion because of her complexion (she was brightly colored). Removing her ear piece she said ‘you said what?’ with a broader smile I stuttered, “good afternoon” and then she gave a shabby reply. With her tiny voice I figured that she was just a teenager but her size looked way different. I knew I had to get the money from her if not I should be ready to face the wrath of the conductor; who was already reporting me to the driver. I explained my situation to her and she ‘blessingly’ gave me 200 naira note. My smile was in the broadest form I could ever imagine. As I collected the money, the word “thank you” came profusely out of my mouth with great speed, frequency and emotion.
Annoyingly, I didn’t see my friend in the house. I had to enter the rain back home. Getting home, I saw my wallet on the table, as if saying; “I called at you when you were about to leave but you didn’t hear me”. I opened it hurriedly and behold there was no money in it! What? I then carefully checked the trousers I wore and behold the ever eluding 760 naira. What a mess, although my wallet was not with me but my money was! I was made to beg in the midst of abundance.
Will Durant said—“no man who is in a hurry is quite civilized”. Never be in haste because that it is the last thing you want to do! Who knows, you might forget to put on your shirt or trousers. Also, greet people immediately you enter a vehicle, you don’t know if your wallet had decided to take a day off without telling you. Make haste slowly!

No comments:

Post a Comment